The Gowertonian Society

Brief History of the Gowerton Schools

Home Page
Officers & Committee
Brief History
How to Join the Society
Past Heads
Old Photos
Head Prefects
Notable Gowertonians
Roll of Honour
Dispatch Box
Society Sales
Events Diary
Society News
Guest Book
Join the Forum
Enter Forum




Following the passing of The Welsh Intermediate Act of 1889 local councils were empowered to set up intermediate schools to prepare pupils for university.Gowerton Intermediate School 



1896 October 5th - the opening of Gowerton Intermediate School at Bethel Vestry, Station Road (now Sterry Road).

Gowerton Boy's Grammar School 1898




1898 March 5th  - opening of  a new purpose built red-bricked school located at Talbot Street.




1940 April 30th - boys and girls segregated.


1940 May 3rd - official opening of new Girls' Grammar School at Cecil Road on land formally part of Cefn Gorwydd Farm.

Gowerton Girls' Grammar School


1973 - The two Grammar Schools merge to form a Comprehensive.

a.      Upper School at Cecil Road.

b.      Middle School at Talbot Street.

c.       Lower School at Penclawdd Secondary School.


1987 - Unification - All pupils housed at Cecil Road.


The Gowertonian Society was founded in 1904, some 8 years after the enrolment of the first pupils 1896.

Back to top


| Home PageOfficers and Committee | How to join the Society | Constitution | Brief History | Dispatch Box | Past Heads |Old Photos | Head Prefects | Notable Gowertonians | Society News | Events diary | Links | Guestbook | Join our Forum |

Copyright © [Gowertonian Society] All rights reserved.